*****THIS POST WAS WRITTEN AT 1:18PM ON 14/12/2012 BASED ON INFORMATION AVAILABLE AT THE TIME. DUE TO THE SPEED OF THE INVESTIGATION AND BREADTH OF COVERAGE, BY THE TIME YOU SEE A REBLOG, INFORMATION VERY WELL MAY HAVE CHANGED AND RENDERED THIS POST OUTDATED OR IRRELEVANT. DON’T MESSAGE ME, DON’T COMPLAIN ABOUT IT, JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DO RIGHT BY THE FAMILIES THAT LOST THEIR CHILDREN OR LOVED ONES BY NOT BEING A GUN-TOTING ASSHOLE*****
- There have been no confirmations that the terrorist who committed the shooting had a mental illness.
- Blaming mental illness provides a scapegoat for the pro-gun lobbyists.
- Blaming mental illness indirectly blames all mentally ill people, the vast majority of whom are nonviolent and never would be violent.
- Blaming mental illness for “isolated incidents” and “sudden breakdowns” STILL ALLOWS FOR PEOPLE WHO WILL OR MAY “break down” TO BUY GUNS.
- Blaming mental illness means that you’ve already stopped seeing the terrorist as a gun owner and gun user first and foremost, which means you’ve already divorced yourself from seeing this as a human tragedy committed by a violent human.
- Mental illness or not, the terrorist was a civilian who was able to purchase a fucking huge gun, legally, in the United States, then walk into a school and murder children. Whether he had a mental illness or not, if he had not been able to purchase the gun, he would not have been able to use it to MURDER CHILDREN.